Passwords are the first line of defense against unauthorized devices or accounts entry. You may be open to hackers frequently using the same credentials or using ‘weak’ passwords. Strong passwords are essential to avoid unauthorized access to your online services and computers.A study conducted by BitDefender found that 75% of users also use their Facebook email addresses.
Importance of strong password
- Protect your website from hackers.
- Reduce the risk of targeting the web through malware and botnets.
Following are the ways of guessing a password
Brute Force Attack- An attacker uses automated software to infer the answer to your username and password. The algorithm attempts any possible combination of characters and will first attempt the most widely used passwords, so poor or common passwords can be relatively simple.
Dictionary- A hacker can run a given ‘ list ‘ against your passwords with this hacking tool. This dictionary also contains the most popular variations of passwords, which allows breaking into weakly secured accounts relatively easy and fast.
Keyloggers- A keylogger is a software that hides in the memory of your machine and starts running. This records every keystroke you type and generates a file that is sent to the hacker afterwards. It can be modified so that it can not be shown in the the Windows Task Manager making it difficult to spot.
Social Engineering- Social Engineering is becoming a common password acquisition form. Through their social media accounts, social engineering takes advantage of the people’s trust. Connecting people to share their passwords is a common technique used, and it is often quite effective, unexpectedly.
Instructions for the creation of strong passwords
- Contain 15 characters or more.
- Do not include any character patterns.
- Use nothing, which can be seen on social media pages.
- Change your password periodically (about every 90 days).
- The password should not be a dictionary word, company name, user name or pet name.
- Use a combination of letters, numbers and special characters in lower case and upper case.
- It is advised that the generated password should not be the same as the previous set password.
- Use password manager to keep your all strong passwords at one place.